Monday, July 27, 2009

How Mom Used To Do Dishes...

As I was cleaning up the kitchen after supper this evening I was in the process of leaving some of the dishes and one large pan in the sink since the dishwasher was already full and running - I figured I'd just put them in the dishwasher in the morning with the breakfast dishes. Anyway, I got to thinking about all the dishes I used to wash growing up in a family of 9 and how I didn't have a dishwasher after I got married either. The dishwasher I have now is actually the first one I've had - we got it when we built and moved into this house - and, boy, do I appreciate it! It made me think how my kids have never really known life without a dishwasher so I decided it would be a good idea for Rylee and Reeva to help me wash the dishes...so I filled up one sink with suds for washing and the other with water for rinsing and told the girls they could help me do the dishes and explained the whole "walked five miles to school..." bit to them (you know how us mothers do ;) I told them that they never knew - they may go to college one day and not have a dishwasher so it would be a good idea to know how to get their dishes clean - "Good point." was Reeva's thoughtful comment to this scenerio. :) So, they took turns washing and rinsing while I dried. I almost laughed when Reece had come into the kitchen and the girls hollered over to him, "Hey look Reece, this is how mom used to do dishes!" And when I had him come over to help put the dishes away he looked at it like, "Is it clean?" - like the only way dishes get clean are in a dishwasher. Oh my...

They actually had a lot of fun and thought it wouldn't be so bad to wash dishes like this more often....wonder how long that would last?! :)
Of course, I couldn't resist snapping a few photos to share....
Well, I promised the kids we would go for a walk this evening so I'd better get going. I really need to get back soon. Last week was Rylee and Reeva's first year to be in 4-H at the fair so I've got lots to share about it. ;)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails