Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Kids Day 2009

Today we celebrated our second annual Kid's Day. "Kid's Day," you ask? For our house it started last year when the kids approached me and asked, "Mom, why is it that there is a Mother's Day and a Father's Day, but no Kid's Day?" Hmmm, good question...which led me back to when I was a kid and it seems that me and my siblings had thoughts along the same lines and approached my mom and dad...to which they invented a Kid's Day for us...my, didn't we think that was a wonderful thing!! :) A whole day just for us...breakfast in bed, no chores, fun activities and maybe a little gift. So, why not Kid's Day? Of course, I like to think I celebrate my kids every day - after all they are special to me every day...yes, even on the days that they are "this close" to causing me to lose what sanity I have left! ;) But, why not have a day to let them know? So, what do we need...a date, right? Thinking back, I remembered Kid's Day being in July and that seemed to be a pretty good month for us...Randy's farming has settled down and it's not yet time for school. I'm not sure the exact date we chose last year and for this year I just chose a day that looked like it would work...I have to say I did plan a little better last year but, no matter, the kids loved it just the same.

Randy got up and started making "Dad's Special Chocolate Chip Pancakes" and I quickly started hanging streamers and drew up a sign that read, "Happy Kid's Day!" Autumn came upstairs and I put her to work helping me. I heard Reeva get up and rushed to the stairs and told her that she could read a little if she wanted...that I was making up the chore list for the day. I had told them yesterday that we had lots of work to do today. I knew telling them I was making "my list" would keep them up there a while. :) Once we got the decorations up, Autumn went upstairs to check on the kids. They were pretty bummed about all the chores they were going to have to do...Rylee and Reeva tried to talk Aunt Audie into taking them to work with her...she said she would ask but my list looked pretty big. While Autumn was talking to them she said Rylee walked over to her dresser, opened a drawer, and pulled out a card. She looked at the card and then said, "Oh man, we missed Kid's Day." I think she looked at the date from last year...not sure why she pulled the card out and thought about it then...but, anyway, about that time Randy called for them to come to breakfast.

And so our day started. Everyone ate pancakes (and didn't have to clean up their dishes afterward!) and then got dressed for the day. We decided to make it a back-to-school Kid's Day so we headed to Eville for everyone to get a few new clothes for school and to pick out school supplies. We also took them to see G Force in 3D at the IMAX Theater. They had a blast. I snapped this photo as we sat outside eating ice cream at GD Ritzies. Yummy!

It was then time to head for home so they popped in a movie that their dad bought them while we were picking out school supplies and settled in for the ride. It was a long, but happy day.

Happy Kid's Day, kiddos...thanks for being such awesome kids! We love you...xoxo ~Mom&Dad

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails